SHARE YOUR WILDERNESS EXPERIENCES, TRADE INFORMATION AND FIND TRIP PARTNERS.

Tired of Moldy Bread!

Who has some great bread ideas?

Tired of Moldy Bread!

Postby Dan » Tue May 13, 2008 9:05 pm

Bread is hard to go without on a long trip, but it is hard to pack. I usually take pita bread because it is flat and packs well. However, it does get moldy just as fast as most bread particularly in damp, humid weather. Someone told me that if you throw a handful of rice in with the bread, it doesn't mold as fast. Does anybody know anything about this?

If you have any great bread ideas please let me know.
Dan

Re: Tired of Moldy Bread!

Postby darp » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:50 pm

I just found a good article on [a=http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/]Outdoor Adventure Canada[/a] about bread. Here is the link. http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/backcountry-cooking.htm
darp
Site Admin

Postby Jammy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:22 am

I always make my own soda bread fresh over an open fire.
It is so simple to do and once you get in to it then the bread becomes a feast with additions of dried fruit or in my case Basil (dried) cheese, olives and sundried tomatoes.

All to often we look for speedy food unnecessarily. After day on the water I am normally in camp by 5pm so I have the rest of the evening to cook and eat so I always cook fresh.
Jammy

Postby Red Langford » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:46 am

Dan, try making Bannock every few days. Pre-mix the flour,lard and salt at home, then just add a bit of water and bake on the trail. A small investment of time should reap rewards of fresh(isn) bread throughout your trip.

Try crackers too, Ryvata makes some nice crackers or recently I made my own hard tack to put into soups on the trail.
Red Langford

Return to Bread