SHARE YOUR WILDERNESS EXPERIENCES, TRADE INFORMATION AND FIND TRIP PARTNERS.

Curried Rice & Prawns

Great food, cooking tips and inspiration.

Curried Rice & Prawns

Postby Jammy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:56 am

Serves 2 or one hungry fella
I have to admit I am addicted to one pan cooking and my favourite ingredient is rice, in it’s many varieties. Some time something simple with standard long grain rice makes a first class quick warm meal, especially after hours in the mountains or out in your canoe/kayak

Curried rice and prawns is just one of those dishes and one of my favourites. I chosen quantities for 2 as I often seem to get a guest for dinner when cooking this. With the wide range of curry pastes coming in to the market these days use those instead of curry powder. Personally I used either ‘Madras’ powder or ‘green Thai’ curry paste and squeeze lime juice in just before serving.
Ingredients
· Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small/medium onion, chopped
½ cup of peas if preferred (tinned garden are fine)
1 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder (strength to suit your taste there are many to chose from)
1 cup long-grain white rice
salt and black pepper
1 1/2 pounds peeled prawns
I sometimes carry dried corriander to use towards the end of cooking just to soften
Directions
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet/wok/pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes.
3. Add the rice, 2½ cups water, salt and pepper to season and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
4. Nestle the prawns in the partially cooked rice. Cover and cook until the shrimp are opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes. If using cooked prawns or shrimp just ensure they are heated through

Sit back against a shaded tree, relax and then just simply enjoy.
Jammy

Return to Your Best Ideas!