SHARE YOUR WILDERNESS EXPERIENCES, TRADE INFORMATION AND FIND TRIP PARTNERS.

Camp Porridge - breakfast for campers'

Great food, cooking tips and inspiration.

Camp Porridge - breakfast for campers'

Postby Jammy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:13 am

When I am on canoeing expeds the morning meal is the most important and for me every morning starts of with my bowl of porridge. This is the thick stuff not the watery stuff but a good hearty bowl of long term energy and inner warmth. Besides with my simple recipe it tastes great as well. Thumbs up for that.

When cooking the rolled oats it is important that you start with cold water. My water comes from the near by stream. Please note; this is not a recommendation as I am lucky enough to have worked with rivers and water treatments for 28 years and therefore can select when and when not to use the local open water source.

1 x cup full of Rolled Oats (I don’t use the branded stuff, I might if they sponsored an advert on here. I buy my loose from selected outlets)
2 – 21/2 x cups of water, cold
Now for the important bit:
1 x large desert spoon of Honey or Maple Syrup
Large drizzle of cream (I use the long life. I have a friend who uses condensed in a tube and it actually works and another who uses long life soya cream)

In the autumn I am renowned for picking blackberries or other wild soft fruits to add
Spring time, hawthorn, gorse and elder flowers go in to the blend, during the cooking process. For those who wish to use dandelion flowers then only use the petals as the stork is rather bitter!

Simply bring to the boil slowly whilst stirring (otherwise it sticks to the pot) and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Take off the heat then add the honey and cream

So simple so easy to transport, so inexpensive and yet so versatile
If you are like me and not so young anymore this oat dish is great for the heart
Jammy

Return to Your Best Ideas!